Before the year ends, you always hear people saying, so what are your goals for next year? have you started your goals yet or not? New years is only a few days away, do them now! How and when you start your goals or new year resolutions ultimately depends on you. It does not have to be at the start of the year it could happen in the middle of the year. Before you jump right into it, reflect on the past year to see what you have achieved and what you have not.
Start by setting goals that you know are achievable, give yourself time to meet those goals and see how they will benefit you. Here are a few tips that will help you achieve your goals.
Start by doing a self-reflection to see the areas in your life that you need to work on and will help you in the long run. Are there new skills that you would like to improve? Hobbies that you would like to start? Work on your health and wellbeing? These are all the questions you should ask yourself before setting goals.
- Write the goals you have in order, placing the ones that are most important to you first.
- Set a deadline for each goal that you can meet and when you hope to achieve them.
- Write them down and paste them somewhere, so you can see them every day to remind yourself of what you have to accomplish.
- Start working on how you can accomplish them. What are the necessary steps you take to make or changes you have to do to meet your goals.
- Make sure what you’re doing is for you, don’t let this be for someone else, make sure that in the end you are happy with what you accomplished and it has benefited you.
What are the areas that you can set goals in?
Health and wellbeing
Everyone says the diet starts tomorrow or I will start working out soon. Do it now, do not wait for tomorrow. Tomorrow will convince you to do it another day.
- For your health find a diet that works for you.
- Cut out foods that are not healthy for you.
- Try not to eat junk food for 3 months.
If you find yourself feeling very anxious or easily stressed due to various things, or due to how 2020 turned out to be, set goals to make time for yourself.
- Like spending 5 minutes to do some breathing exercises.
- Take one hour out of your day to move your body.
- Read a book.
- Take 10 minutes to stretch.
- Go to a quiet space and relax.
- Do not go on your phone before bed.
- Do a social media detox once every 2 weeks.
Sometimes we always feel like we lack time with our family or crave for more time with them. During 2020, people were able to have more quality time with their families, while others couldn't. If there is one thing we could take away from last year, it is to appreciate the time we have with everyone.
- Set a goal to not be on your phone when you are around family.
- Start a family game night or movie night.
- Cook for your family once a week.
Everyone wants to be fit, but starting the fitness journey is the hardest part. There are so many workout styles you could do that would best for you. Remember to make time for your workouts, redo your daily schedule and find time to work out!
- Find a workout style that works for you.
- Start by working out on your day off.
- Start your day with a workout or end your day with a workout.
Working on your finances is very important. If you have been struggling to build a savings account or to open up an RSP or TFSA, contact your bank to find out how you can start working on it.
- Make it easy on yourself by putting small amounts of money into your saving every week. Like 5 or 10 dollars, depending on your income.
- Create a budget for all your expenses and stick to it.
- Try a no spending plan for a month or two and see how it goes.
If you’ve recently graduated from College or University. Thinking of taking a new career path or wanting to start your own business, it will feel like you're stepping into a new territory that you're not familiar with.
- See if you can volunteer somewhere.
- Find an internship.
- Plan out your business.
You truly never stop learning, even after you have graduated. Every day you learn something new. If you have always wanted to go back to school to either learn something new or expand your knowledge on what you have already studied, now is the time!
- Find online courses that you can take.
- Try out at least one course.
- Read books that cater to what you want to learn.
Goals can be made and met at any time, it is all about you and what you do to achieve them. Make it simple and be sure that it benefits you and helps you grow!